Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Something About September

I think I've said this before, but Egyptians are generally very excited to find out that I'm American (after they verify that I voted for Obama, of course). I literally walk down the streets every day to choruses of "Welcome to Egypt!" And it only gets better when they discover that I speak some Arabic. Even if they think it's hysterical that I talk like a book, they all nod excitedly and say, "Arabia kuwais!" (Good Arabic!) after only a sentence or two from me, and then want to know all about my studies, my work, every other detail of my life (which I generally can't provide in a way they would understand). Today however, I got the weirdest response when I told someone I was American. While I was in the elevator of my apartment building, I started talking to the other men there. After the initial excitement that I could say "salaam walekum," one of them started talking to me very quickly about America. I heard him say something about September, so I figured he was telling me that he was visiting the states in a few months. However, when I asked him to repeat what he'd said, I realized that he was actually talking about September 11, and how I shouldn't blame Islam for what happened. I was amazed that that was the first thing he would say when he saw an American... and maybe not the most chatty topic to bring up in an elevator. Mostly though I was confused as to why he was so urgent to get this point across to me - an American in Egypt. I think it would be obvious that if I (incorrectly) were to blame Islam for September 11, then I wouldn't choose to travel to an Islamic country. Maalesh.

I'm leaving bright and early tomorrow for Sharm Al-Sheikh, a beach on the Sinai peninsula. We'll be there for three days, and I'm looking forward to doing nothing but sleeping and reading and soaking up some sun. For now though, ma salama!

No comments:

Post a Comment